Monday, July 6, 2009

It's For Real Now

If anyone reading this has a dictionary nearby, please look up the phrase 'total immersion' and see if there's a picture of me in one of those McDonald's play areas, only where all of those soft plastic balls have been replaced by mounds of flight school books, data charts, and aircraft inspection checklists. Not only did I get assaulted by the bombardment of material presented here on Day One, but I also have a solid 4-5 hours of reading and preparing for tomorrow still ahead of me tonight. And this is the first time all day I've even thought about sports. So, um, why did I start a blog again? Forgive me ahead of time for your sifting through of page after page of boring antidotes from my life here at flight school.

Despite information overload, there have been some 'exciting' developments in my life over the past few days, chief among them losing my Iowa virginity. As it turns out, it IS advantageous to drive through Iowa from Minnesota if you're headed to Texas. And I know this is hard to fathom, but despite living in Minnesota for virtually my entire life, this was the first time I'd had ample reason to make an appearance. I could assail you with lies of beautiful scenery and incredible panoramic mountain views, or I could just report to you that the Iowa state slogan reads, "Iowa: Fields of Opportunity." Really? That's the best they could come up with? If I was governor of Iowa, it would most certainly read, "Iowa: Endless Rows of Corn." Then, at least unsuspecting drivers such as myself wouldn't be fooled. I'm still waiting for that opportunity, Iowa, and no, that .79 cent week-old gas station banana doesn't count.

I'll be flying by Wednesday, putting to practice much of what I've learned today and in the days ahead. It'll be the first time I've been in the air in a couple of months-excited to get back behind the yoke. My training is all mapped out for the next 60 days; in looking ahead I was incredulous to learn that my first solo flight is a mere 15 days away! I guess we'll see what happens...

3 comments:

  1. You are such a wonderful and interesting writer! Keep the updates coming! This just might have inspired me to update mine...

    PS. I really really like the sunset photo in your header--did you take that? How beautiful.

    Keep working hard and get some sleep, Moose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, 15 days?!? exciting...and terrifying at the same time, I suppose.

    I have your blog bookmarked on my brower now...I'm watchin' you like a hawk. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...I'm connected! This will be fun to follow you on your adventure! Sounds like you'll be very busy. Keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete